Pages

Wednesday 6 February 2013

Then and now

One of the things I really enjoy about living in a totally new town is trying to uncover some of the history of the area in which I find myself.

Just a couple of weeks ago I watched a programme on TV (it was a repeat), when Michael Portillo (Ugh!!) visited our town and made a trip to the Maltings. He also mentioned an old brewing family by the name of Morgan. It seems there were once several old breweries in town, although apart from the Maltings, they have all closed down now. I was intrigued to find this postcard in town, photo taken approx 1900, which depicts the site of Morgan's Brewery . . .


. . . nestled in between Webb's shop and the Athenaeum. The view is quite different now, here is how it looked yesterday,


Webb's shop is now a hairdressers and the Athenaeum has a new entrance. You can read the history of the Athenaeum here.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great find in the postcard, love the then and now photos. Interesting to see the changes.

Busy Little Chicken said...

Wow, shame they put a road through there really, it looked lovely!! Hope you find some more 'then and now' photos, like Karen, I love to see the changes!! Think I'll try looking for old pics from where I live...apparently there used to be a petrol station up the road from me!!

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Great old postcard. Fun to see the before and after photos.

Shirley said...

It's amazing how the places change, it's lovely to find out how things used to be.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

Very cool concept to put the "then and now" images together. So many stories there.
Thanks for sharing!