Pages

Tuesday 14 May 2013

Another "Then and Now"

I love it when I find old photos of our town. Back along I borrowed a library book with loads of photos, but as they were already photos of photos I couldn't get a decent photographic copy of any of them. However, while in our lovely old stationery shop Coates and Parker yesterday I found a postcard depicting East Street cir. 1900.


I live just off of East Street, so this view is the one I see when walking home from town. I couldn't stand exactly where the photographer stood over a century ago, or I would have been mown down by traffic, but here is the view from as close as I could get.


As you can see, the buildings are all more or less the same, only the drinking fountain has gone, and I'm pretty sure that the building furthest right, which now houses NatWest Bank, is new, as the window and roof heights don't match the original.

The reason I was in Coates and Parker yesterday was to buy a card for FO, my second son, and his partner to congratulate them on the birth of my granddaughter. I'm off now to see them, so look out for some baby pics when I get back, sometime at the weekend.


5 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What fun to see the then and now - and a new granddaughter - eve more fun!!!

Mum said...

Happy New Granddaughter.
Love from Mum
xx

Chrissy C said...

Very interesting






Unknown said...

Love the comparison, hmm got me thinking now!!! Have a wonderful time away and lots of cuddles. xx

Heather Leavers said...

I love old photos. When I was a teacher I was the school expert (!!) on the interactive whiteboard and made a "magic picture" by putting an old photo of the school underneath a modern photo - I could then "rub out" areas of the new pic to reveal its history. The kids were very impressed!